The Pixel Project’s Work to end Violence Against Women
Violence against women (VAW) in all its forms has always been shrouded in a cocoon of silence in many communities and culture out of shame, taboo and/or cultural complicity. The Pixel Project believes that speaking up, generating conversation, getting educated, and educating others are powerful starting points for preventing, stopping and ending VAW.
The Pixel Project specialises in online campaigns at the intersection of social media, new technologies, and the Arts/culture which are created as platforms and vehicles for specific communities to participate in efforts to raise awareness, funds, and volunteer power to end violence against women.
Interested in taking action or learning more or staying informed about VAW? Check out our current roster of programmes and campaigns:
- Our Twitter Tag Team – Bringing the global audience worldwide relevant news and helpline information on VAW almost round the clock.
- Our Facebook page – Providing up-to-date news, ideas to stop VAW and a discussion forum for supporters and newbies alike to talk about VAW.
- Our Read For Pixels campaign – Working with award-winning bestselling authors and their fandoms to raise awareness and funds for the VAW cause.
- Our Survivor Stories Blog Interview campaign – Our annual Mother’s day blogging campaign featuring interviews with VAW survivors from all walks of life and around the world.
- Our Inspirational Interviews series – A long-running blog series featuring in-depth long-form interviews with anti-VAW activists, advocates, and organisations from around the world about the work that they do.
- Our 16 For 16 campaign – An annual marathon blogging campaign featuring 16 articles revolving around lists of 16 VAW-related ideas/people/actions in honour of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence.
- Our 30 For 30 campaign – Our annual Father’s Day blogging campaign featuring 30 interviews with 30 dads from around the world.
- Our People and Pets Say NO! campaign – Our annual photography campaign that gets people and their pets to take a statement picture saying NO to VAW in recognition that pets also face abusive along with women and children.
- Our Celebrity Male Role Model Pixel Reveal campaign – Our flagship campaign to turbo-charge global awareness about VAW while raising US$1 million for the cause to end VAW by getting a global audience to collectively unveil a million-pixel mystery collage of inspiring non-violent Celebrity Male Role Models by donating US$1 per pixel. Our distinguished line-up includes a Nobel Laureate, a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner and a renowned Environmentalist. The philosophy behind choosing positive male role models from different walks of life is to emphasise that men have a major role to play in breaking the cycle of violence against women. Award-winning international photographer Jillian Edelstein is the project’s principal portrait photographer.