Criticism of Fifty Shades of Grey for glamourizing domestic violence continues. Closely linked is news that Papua New Guinea tops search engines for pornography, sparking debate on whether there is a correlation between pornography and erotica with violence against women.
The killing of a rape victim in Turkey has sparked protests and dialogue on violence against women in the country. One of the more interesting protests is a campaign by men wearing miniskirts, drawing attention to the issue and creating a powerful statement on being an ally.
Elsewhere around the world:
- Rape survivors write love letters to themselves. Their words are a powerful witness and testimony on what it means to survive rape.
- The annual One Billion Rising campaign continues to grow as a movement.
Every contribution matters. If you have any news you’d like to share about violence against women, please email The Pixel Project at email@example.com. If you prefer to receive up-to-the-minute news concerning violence against women, follow us on Twitter . It’s time to stop violence against women together.
The Pixel Project Team
General Violence Against Women
- AFGHANISTAN: Violence against women on the rise in Herat
- AUSTRALIA: Editorial – does violence against women start in childhood?
- BANGLADESH: Women in Bangladesh: silenced victims of state terror
- CANADA: Missing and murdered aboriginal women inquiry a must, says report
- NIGERIA: Violence against women – time to pass bill
- SOUTH AFRICA: Too little, too late – Ministry of Women races to report on Beijing +20
- TURKEY: Student’s killing turns spotlight on Turkey on violence against women
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Forensic meet sheds light on gender violence, assault
- WORLD: Fifty Shades is the Worst of Us
- AUSTRALIA: Domestic violence rising in Queensland according to new report
- BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA: Domestic violence revives Bosnian women’s war nightmares
- MEXICO: Latinas rise from history to raise voices against domestic violence
- NEW ZEALAND: New Zealand failing to reduce high rate of domestic violence
- PAPUA NEW GUINEA: PNG tops porn searches on Google, experts divided over link between pornography and violence
- SAMOA: Samoa’s domestic violence hotline reflects on 10 years
- UNITED STATES: Two new Florida bills designed to help domestic violence survivors
Rape / Sexual Assault
- WORLD: Rape survivors’ love letters to themselves are powerful messages of hope.
- DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: New smartphone app hopes to help prosecute rape in war zones.
- LIBERIA: 12-year old rape victim detained and allowed to die on the way to hospital.
- NEPAL: Nepal Supreme Court rejects amnesty for war crimes (including sexual violence)
- MALAYSIA: Rape survivor responds to a Muslim cleric’s statement that women’s bodies invite rape
- SOUTH SUDAN: The voice of South Sudan’s women must be heard to give peace a chance
- SUDAN: George Clooney writes about the rape of Darfur
- TURKEY: Men are wearing miniskirts to protest the killing of a woman who defended herself against a rapist
- WORLD: United Nations shines spotlight on human slavery and trafficking on World Social Justice Day
- AFRICA: ‘Witchcraft’ used to fight sex trafficking in Africa
- BELARUS: Dealing with slavery and human trafficking in Belarus
- BURKINA FASO: Nigerian sex slave dies in Burkina Faso
- CUBA: US Senator Robert Menendez seeks to focus on human trafficking in Cuba
- SOUTH AFRICA: South Africa vows to fight human trafficking
- UNITED KINGDOM: Sex trafficking kingpin jailed
- UNITED STATES: Virginia on its way to enacting first sex trafficking law
Female Genital Mutilation
- EGYPT: Female genital mutilation persists in rural Egypt
- ETHIOPIA: Princess Mary of Denmark visits Ethiopia, is horrified by FGM
- FRANCE: French lessons for tackling FGM
- KENYA: Alternatives to FGM on the rise in Kenya
- MALAYSIA: FGM in Malaysia is increasing, and it is disheartening for women everywhere
- NIGERIA: 60% of families in Oyo State still practice FGM
- UNITED KINGDOM: More than 2600 treated for FGM since September
- UNITED STATES: Legislator seeks to outlaw FGM in Pennsylvania
Honour Killing and Forced Marriage
- AFGHANISTAN: 10-year old girl exchanged for marriage in Balkh province
- AUSTRALIA: Victoria police concerned over number of forced marriage going unreported
- INDIA: Mystery in Dalit woman’s death, suspected honour killing
- MALAWI: Malawi sets minimum legal age of marriage to 18
- NEPAL: Kidnapped at 13: Nepal’s Dalit child brides
- TANZANIA: Educating parents and community to curb child marriages
- UNITED KINGDOM: Review of ‘Catch Me Daddy’, a film about honour killing
- ZIMBABWE: Teens to take government to court over marriage age
- WORLD: Photographs of One Billion Rising around the world
- MIDDLE EAST: Female laureates unite for peace in the Middle East
- AFGHANISTAN: “Why are you still driving? One day they will kill you.” – feature on Afghanistan’s first female taxi driver
- KENYA: Kakenya Ntaiya exchanged female genital mutilation for an education, now runs school for girls in Kenya
- MALAYSIA: Introducing Sumitra Visvanathan, new executive director of the Women’s Aid Organization
- NIGERIA: Nigerian pastor and women’s rights activist awarded prize
- SWEDEN: She is the first ambassador of her kind – Annika Molin Hellgren is Sweden’s first Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues
- UNITED KINGDOM: Domestic violence and forced marriage survivors demand Welsh Government educate school children on healthy relationships
- UNITED STATES: Students raise money for women’s shelter at ‘Fifty Shades’ premiere