Welcome to the 54th edition of The Pixel Project’s VAW e-News Digest. As usual, we bring you the latest and most relevant news related to violence against women and efforts at eradicating it around the world.
In this edition of the VAW e-News Digest we highlight the social impact of the recent case of gang rape in New Delhi. The gang rape has highlighted the extent of sexual violence against women in New Delhi and has unearthed deep frustrations the people have concerning the safety of women in the city.
Meanwhile in the United States, the Violence Against Women Act continues to be stalled.
We also bring good news: the United Nations has declared a ban on female genital mutilation. The ban is hoped to increase the progress of various groups hoping to end the practice of female genital mutilation, particularly in various countries in Africa.
Every contribution matters. If you have any news you’d like to share about violence against women, please email The Pixel Project at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to receive up-to-the-minute news concerning violence against women, follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/thepixelproject.
It’s time to stop violence against women. Together.
Warmest Regards and Season’s Greetings
The Pixel Project Team
General Violence Against Women
- EGYPT – All religions condemn violence against women
- INDIA – WHO considers raising liquor price to curb violence against women
- INDIA – Letter to the editor from a citizen calling for violence against women to be a major issue in the 2014 elections
- POLAND – Poland signs convention on preventing violence against women
- UNITED STATES – Why does the Violence Against Women Act remain stalled?
- UNITED STATES – Editorial: Why we really need to pass the Violence Against Women Act
- AUSTRALIA – Spike in domestic violence means it’s not such a festive season for many
- AUSTRALIA – Generic domestic violence expected to spike over the holidays
- SAUDI ARABIA – Committee formed to tackle domestic violence
- UNITED STATES – Murder-suicide case shows hurdles in legal system concerning domestic violence
Rape and Sexual Assault
- INDIA – Gang Rape Sparks Public Fury in India
- INDIA – Rape protests turn violent
- INDIA – Officials vow action after brutal gang rape
- INDIA – Nearly 1000 rape cases await justice in New Delhi’s courts
- INDIA – Parliamentary panel to meet on 27 December in response to the Delhi rape case
- INDIA – Delhi’s women fear that once media spotlight dims rapes will continue
- INDIA – Editorial: Don’t stigmatize rape victims with the ‘zinda lash’ label
- INDIA – Rape survivor is feeling better and optimistic about future
- INDIA – Gang rape case highlights request to reopen army mass rape case in Kashmir in 1991
Honour Killings and Forced Marriage
- MYANMAR – Daughter of Kachin Independence Army Officer rescued from being trafficked into forced marriage
- NEW ZEALAND – Call for action against forced marriage
- NEW ZEALAND – Government to not tolerate forced marriage, no place in New Zealand
- UNITED KINGDOM – Britain’s first female Muslim minister comments on various issues affecting the British Muslim community, including forced marriage
- ARGENTINA – Protests erupt after 13 people acquitted of a sex trafficking case
- THE PHILIPPINES – Senator raises alarm on reports of human traffickers prowling typhoon-hit areas
- UNITED STATES – Anti-sex trafficking watchdog zeroes in on ads for adult services
- UNITED STATES – Human trafficking widespread in Tennessee area
- UNITED STATES – Study done by the Arizona State University and Phoenix Police Department shows link between sex trafficking and adult ads
Female Genital Mutilation
- United Nations has called for a ban on female genital mutilation
- NGOs mull impact of the United Nations ban on FGM
- SIERRA LEONE – The political battle surrounding FGM in Sierra Leone
- TANZANIA – More anti-FGM campaigns needed in Tarime district
- NGO Tostan is empowering people in Africa to understand their human rights and encourage them to abandon FGM
- A useful video that sums up issues of female genital mutilation.
- FIJI- Sports used to address violence against women
- GHANA – Young woman who escaped forced marriage to become a professional
- PAKISTAN – One Billion Rising campaign hopes to fight the tide of violence against women
- UNITED KINGDOM – Smartphone app to help youngsters at risk of forced marriage
- UNITED STATES – Maryland nonprofits receive grants to combat domestic violence
- UNITED STATES – From Child Sex Slave to Activist: How a Berkeley Woman is Using Her Past to Help Others